Not your mother's favorite Italian dessert!
This decadently-rich and moist cannoli-inspired cake will have you in holiday heaven with just one bite!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes + cooling
Yield: 15 servings
• 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
• 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon cold brewed Lava Lei coffee
(Light, Medium, or Dark Roast, depending on preference)
• 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
• 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1/3 cup orange juice
• 1 large egg, room temperature
• 1 large egg white, room temperature
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/3 cup baking cocoa
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a small bowl, combine the egg white, ricotta cheese, sugar, Lava Lei coffee and orange zest. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 batter ingredients; beat until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
3. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with heaping tablespoonfuls of ricotta mixture; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.